The Providence/Boston CFAR is committed to cultivating the next generation of scientists working to end the HIV epidemic. The goal of the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) Initiative is to ensure that the next generation of scientists includes a diverse array of experiences and perspectives.
Specifically, the DEIB Initiative will cultivate the next generation of under-represented scientists devoted to ending the HIV epidemic by:
- Increasing the number of individuals from under-represented groups entering, developing, and remaining in HIV scientific careers
- Supporting the individuals in these HIV scientific careers in thriving through strong HIV research networks and mentoring
Additionally, the DEIB Initiative will build on new opportunities to cultivate a new generation of diverse scientists because of NIH’s expanded definition of scientists who are underrepresented in the biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and social science research enterprise. This expanded definition of underrepresented scientists include:
- Individuals from racial and ethnic groups underrepresented in health-related sciences
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds